Price From: ZAR 27030.00 (Per Person Sharing)
The Panorama Route
This dramatically scenic northern Drakensberg escarpment route is close to the Kruger National Park. It includes such sights as Gods Window, Bourkes Luck Potholes, many beautiful waterfalls including the Mac Mac, Lisbon, and Berlin Falls. The Blyde River Canyon is the third deepest canyon in the world after the Grand Canyon in the USA and the Fish River Canyon in Namibia but is the deepest green canyon in the world with regular rainfall. Pilgrims Rest is an old gold mining town preserved in its entirety. The Long Tom Pass rises to 2300 metres before descending to the Kruger National Park which is below 400 metres. The pass is named after the canon manufactured by Le Creuset in France, with which the Boers bombarded the advancing British, and of which a replica stands at the top of the pass.
The Crocodile River
The Crocodile River forms the southern border of the Kruger National Park. Crocodiles sun themselves on the sandbanks and hippos wallow in the shallows. To its banks come the animals of the Kruger Park to drink and enjoy the cool shade of the tall trees. Pestana lodge near the river has the privilege of views of the Kruger Park across the river often better than the private lodges inside the Kruger.
From here add an optional visit to the picturesque country of Eswatini (Swaziland). Please see Swaziland Tour add to Kruger Park Itinerary.
Location, location, location, this is key to a great safari!
Pestana Kruger Lodge is perfectly located next to the Crocodile River about 300 metres from the Malelane Gate to the Kruger National Park (KNP). The banks of the Crocodile River attract large numbers of animals and so it is one of the best animal spotting locations in the KNP easily equal to Sabi Sands and other more expensive private concessions. The terrain is also more interesting than the flatter regions to the north because its undulating, hilly nature and open river courses create better opportunities for viewing animals even in times of high vegetation such as our summer period.
The best animal concentrations in the KNP are in the south too, simply because of higher rainfall. Lower cost destinations to the north and middle of the Kruger have much less frequent sightings because of less food resources and thus lower animal densities.
Staying just outside the KNP at a location close by or right on the edge of it is the best way of doing a low-cost safari. This location is on the banks of the Crocodile River but just outside the park is open to the park and gives great views of animals close by the river. The accommodation too is great value for money compared to locations inside and there are some things unique to this safari that are not available at the more costly 5-star lodges ( please read below). Pestana has a great viewing deck looking right over the Kruger. You can sip a drink and spot animals passing by.
- Change one of your game drives to a dawn safari walk with an armed ranger at an extra cost of ZAR500.00 per person. This is an activity only available from SANPARKS the people who administer the KNP. This experience is unique and not generally available on safari at at 5-star lodges ( subject to availability on the day in question).
- We can also arrange a night safari drive a service also not offered by the 5-star lodges. This would be in place of your sunset drive but would involve a 30-minute transfer to another gate of the Kruger and would cost ZAR500.00 per person extra. If you are here in the winter months this option may not be necessary as part of your sunset safari is in darkness as explained.
- The Panorama Route Tour day can be changed to another morning and evening safari and night at the Kruger Lodge so then it will be four days all safari no extra.
- There is also Chimp Eden and the Sudwala Caves. This would be in the middle of the day and so will not interfere with your safari drives.
- Visits to the neighboring countries of Swaziland and Mozambique can also be arranged.
- You can continue the Panorama Route over the Abel Erasmus Mountain Pass and spend a night at Moholoholo Animal Rescue centre and also sail up into the Blyde River Canyon from here. Please see 2 Day Visit to Moholoholo Rehabilitation Centre From the Panorama Route or Kruger National Park. We highly recommend this for a family experience and you can learn much in-depth knowledge of the animals and the ecosystem at Moholoholo.
7 January 2023 – 7 January 2024: ZAR27 030 .00 per person sharing, ZAR39 072.00 for a solo traveler, and ZAR14 102.00 for a child sharing with one or two adults.
8 January 2024 – 23 March 2024 and 8 April 2024 – 20 December 2024 – ZAR30 655.00 per person sharing, ZAR53 810.00 for a solo traveller, and ZAR15 355.00 for a child sharing with one or two adults.
24 March 2024 – 7 April 2024 and 21 December 2024 – 5 January 2025 – ZAR32 460.00 per person sharing, ZAR56 530.00 for a solo traveller, and ZAR15 799.00 for a child sharing with one or two adults.